Edward J. Sanz, CTP, CFA
Mr. Sanz is a senior finance and restructuring professional with over thirty years of experience as a CFO, interim manager, and financial consultant to business owners, boards of directors and senior management in the U.S. and abroad. He has provided services including interim crisis management, board of director services, financing/refinancing services, company assessments, operational/profitability improvement, and middle market lending. He also has extensive experience in both out-of-court and state and bankruptcy court proceedings, serving in court-appointed roles including Chief Restructuring Officer, Financial Advisor, Receiver, Trustee, and Expert Witness.
Mr. Sanz has worked successfully with both debtors and creditors in a variety of industries, including retail, manufacturing, distribution, restaurant, food services, higher education, printing, media, energy, construction, nonprofit, service, agricultural, healthcare, telecom, real estate, pharmaceutical, transportation, software/technology, professional services and aviation.
Mr. Sanz began his career as a commercial lender with a large regional bank after completing its formal one-year credit training program. As a consultant at a Big Four accounting firm, he performed detailed valuations of public and private companies in connection with mergers/acquisitions, recapitalizations, litigation support, and tax cases. He then led the analysis for an RBOC’s CFO of the company’s Latin American cellular investments with combined revenues of $350 million in five countries. He was the expatriate CFO of an international textile manufacturer in Mexico and was the CFO of a private equity-owned manufacturer of specialty yarns. He was also a project manager leading cross-functional teams on post-merger integration projects for a major money center bank. Mr. Sanz has worked in the turnaround and restructuring industry since 2005 with two middle-market advisory firms before joining ABTV in 2011.
Select assignments and experience include:
- CRO and Receiver for a $35 million (revenue) multi-location drug treatment and rehabilitation operation. Managed the company through stabilization and ultimately a liquidation.
- Financial Advisor to an operator of 25 casual dining steakhouse restaurants in four states. Provided recommendations for improvements in cash flows, operations, and financial reporting.
- CRO of a 96-year old chemical manufacturer transitioning to a brand management/licensor strategy while winding down and managing legacy liabilities.
- CRO of a successful turnaround of a 173-year old private college after a severe cash and leadership crisis.
- Receiver for a pre-cast concrete contractor in Georgia that was ultimately liquidated in a wind down.
- Financial Advisor for a $600 million (revenue) multi-location textile manufacturer, leading a successful out-of-court liquidation process that resulted in full recovery for the secured lender and significant recovery for unsecured creditors.
- Estate Executive and advisor for a rural hospital that was sold through a Chapter 11 process to a large regional healthcare company.
- CRO for an $80 million biorefinery facility in Chapter 11.
- Financial Advisor for a $45 million (revenue) multi-location textile manufacturer, leading a successful refinancing and coordinating a strategic sale with management and outside advisors.
- Expatriate CFO of an international $90 million (revenue) joint-venture textile manufacturer, representing a $130 million greenfield investment, that included administering and navigating a complex $74 million international credit facility through the Mexican peso crisis.
- Expert Witness in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case in the Western District of North Carolina regarding the setting of an interest rate on the impaired secured claim of a senior secured lender.
- Post-confirmation Trustee for a Creditors Trust created under the confirmation plan for a large packaging manufacturer that emerged from Chapter 11.
- CFO of a $50 million (revenue) NC-based, multi-location textile manufacturing company, including coordination of project to move significant production to a start-up Mexican facility.
Mr. Sanz graduated from the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Science in Commerce and received his Master’s in Business Administration with honors from Emory University. He holds Certified Turnaround Professional (CTP) and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designations.
Mr. Sanz currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) Global organization, where he also chairs the Certification Oversight Committee which oversees the administration of the CTP/CTA designation. He is also a past President and current Board member of the TMA’s Carolinas Chapter. He is a member of the TMA, American Bankruptcy Institute, Commercial Finance Association, CFA Institute, CFA North Carolina Society, and the Association for Corporate Growth.Download Contact Information V-Card