Michael C. Obringer
Senior Managing Director
Mr. Obringer is a senior finance, operating and restructuring professional with over twenty-five years of experience as a CFO, COO, General Manager, and strategic advisor to investment firms, senior management, and business owners. He has a diverse background in operations, sales, strategic planning, sourcing, customer service, and supply chain/vendor management and has driven transformational change leading high-performing, cross-functional teams. He has served in larger corporations and smaller entrepreneurial organizations, both public and private, in diverse industries including healthcare, distribution, manufacturing and business services.
Some select assignments and experience include:
- Board Member and Advisor to four Private Equity-backed, business-to-business firms in the training, distribution and patient delivery space within the life sciences industry.
- Advisor to small and mid-size businesses looking to accelerate or revive growth with improved market strategies and customer engagement, while optimizing internal operations including process control, financial management, organizational structure, and technology utilization.
- As COO of a market leader in patient services, lead a complex business transformation that included the creation of Centers of Excellence (new launches, project management, quality, process improvement), migration to a new Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, and a broad organizational redesign.
- Led efforts that consolidated operations, installed fiscal and process governance, streamlined management layers and established an aligned account team structure to improve customer intimacy.
- Held P&L responsibility for all areas including Client Delivery/Commercial Operations, Clinical Services, Operations Excellence and Pharmacy Operations.
- Significantly improved profitability, cash flow, and labor utilization including overtime and bonus management.
- Advisor to private equity firms, conducting diligence and assessment for portfolio companies in the healthcare, business services, technology, and distribution sectors; also providing advisory services to the boards and CEOs of portfolio companies on an ongoing basis.
- Advisor to a medical adherence company, conducting a market assessment to refocus customer targets while improving distribution models and sourcing strategies.
- Advisor to a high-growth enrollment services firm focused on higher education admissions, driving improvements via customer segmentation, pricing & vendor strategies, in addition to more effective financial management reporting tools; also providing CFO advisory services on an ongoing basis.
- Starting as a senior sales and operations manager, assumed GM duties within six years of a start-up division of a privately held, integrated distributor. Provided corporate leadership to develop strategic selling, process discipline, and operating efficiencies. Drove the business to profitability in first ten months while increasing EBITDA by a CAGR of 51% over five years, resulting in an increase of enterprise value of over $110M.
- Held senior operations and sales roles in a fast-growing division of a global medical device company.
- Provided operational analysis and integration leadership for significant new business opportunities.
- Managed teams that increased revenues and profitability significantly above targeted goals.
- Developed corporate-level bridging procedure to improve the company’s ability to integrate new acquisitions.
Mr. Obringer began his corporate career after serving four years in the U.S. Navy as a Lieutenant and Surface Warfare Officer. He received his Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Notre Dame and attended the Executive Development Program at The University of Chicago Booth School of Business.